Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Design your own Fabric

Design, like so many things these days, has come a long way in the last few years.  There are many tools out there that help us such as 3D Room Designers, Color Preview software and online access to design experts.  I learned of one site recently that intrigued me and I thought I would share it with my readers.  


It's called Spoonflower and their easy to use website allows visitors to design their own fabric.  Now I know most people will not find this quite as exciting as I do.  While other little girls were playing softball and pretending to be Wonder Woman, I was making doll clothes on my first little Singer.  However, just imagine the possibilities!  Any pattern you have access to or design can be made into pillows, drapes or napkins to help customize a room.  Not to mention how fun this site could be for quilters, especially landscape quilters needing to find just the right pattern and color.



The process is extremely simple.  All you need to do is upload an image and the software on the site will show you how the pattern will repeat on the fabric.  In this case, I chose a bold pattern from a Jonathan Adler notebook and scanned it into my computer.  I cropped the image and uploaded it to the Spoonflower site.  The resulting fabric I created can be produced in many different sizes and weights.  If you want to make drapes or pillows you would order either Linen Cotton Canvas or Upholstery Weight Twill, while napkins would be fine made from Quilting weight cotton.  Even if you don't sew, you can have these items made for you at either a dry cleaner or by a good tailor.