Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Thrift Store Chair Transformation

Hard to believe this smart looking chair started out as a $5 thrift store find.  I needed a new desk chair and found this sorry looking barstool, but thought I could transform it into something great.  I want to show you the process of how I went about it so you could see how easy it is.  Below is the "before" picture of how the chair looked when I brought it home.   



It's hard to see from the picture but the chair was pretty scraped up and barstool height as well.  I started by popping out the seat so I could recover it.  



I removed the cording piece, but left the remaining red cover on and decided to recover over it.



In order to recover the seat I selected 5/8 yard of a greek key patterned fabric that I purchased for about $4.  I place the seat face down on the back of the fabric.  I used a staple gun to put one staple in the front, back, and each side.  After these four staples, I went around by pulling the fabric tight and stapling the fabric to the edge of the seat.  When it was all stapled down, I trimmed the excess fabric and the seat was done.



I removed the metal bar from the bottom of the barstool, sanded the entire piece with a fine grit sandpaper and wiped it down to remove the sanding dust.



Finally, I sprayed the whole piece with a satin finish black spray paint and cut 6 inches off the bottom and the chair was ready to re-attach the seat and use.